Monday, January 26, 2009

OperationHB, week 2

Thanks to everyone who has gotten back to me. I appreciate your ideas and comments. Just a few thoughts so far. First, while I don't want this to be about me in any way, I just want to clear something up, based on some of the feedback I've been getting. I wasn't homeless because of any crime or substance addiction or anything like that. While those are very real problems, my situation was the result of two other major issues in the public eye; a lack of healthcare and the skyrocketing cost of an education in this country. I don't want to go on a soapbox about it. Those are two seperate but related issues. Conversations for another time. I mention this not as a way to "prove my innocence", but to remind people that being homeless is a problem that can strike anyone, and has.
Back to the matter at hand....
With regards to a riding route, I don't feel that there is a specific "homeless area" where we can go ride and see "the transient: in his natural habitat". Homelessness is everywhere. I saw a recent ordnance prohibiting the homeless sleeping on the beach, in Laguna Beach. That was a shock. When I worked down in Venice, I saw an old homeless guy everyday hanging out in front of the stores on Abbot Kinney. Across the street walked the kid who played Frodo in the Lord of the Rings movies (I know his name, I just didn't want to call him out by name). Wherever we ride in LA, we're going to be by someone without a home. I guess that's part of my point, the whole juxtaposition of wealth and poverty in LA.
Moving forward, I want to try and achieve something each week, whether it's recruting somebody new, or something a bit more prominent. Last week, I began this blog. In that time I have e-mailed it to a few people for feedback, but also have sent it to the LA Homeless Services Authority http://www.lahsa.org/
and the National Coalition for Homeless Vets.http://www.nchv.org/
So far, no response. I also e-mailed a guy via Linkedin who was my contact with the LA Kings when I did a jumbotron animation for them in the late 90s (ironically, the time I was homeless). Again, no response. I've had this blog up for a week, just kind of testing it out. Time to "go public"...

No comments:

Post a Comment